Monday, August 9, 2010

First Day of Training.

So. Today was the first day of "training". I woke up bright and early ready to rock. Left a little bit early just to be prepared. And on the way, realized I had a little bit of time to find some coffee (you know. to help settle the nerves.) I pulled into this little drive through coffee shack on the way to the school expecting it to be a quick in-and-out. Decided to be a good representation of true California drivers, I nicely let a car pull ahead of me...bad decision. I waited for 10 minutes just for these people to pay. By this time I didn't even need my coffee. My heart was racing and I literally thought I was going to be late for my very first day. Didn't happen. I was perfectly on time. But lesson of the morning. Drive through coffee shack on the back country road does not equal Starbucks on Mission and Quince.
Anyways. Today's agenda was a course in the Philosophy of Christian Education. Each of us were assigned a book to read over the summer. My book was called "Total Truth" by Nancy Pearcey. I highly recommend it. In a nut shell, she used a long line of history to talk about the division of the sacred and secular in life. She urged Christians to pursue detailed Biblical knowledge and form solid worldviews in order to be the best ambassadors for Christ. I got a little bit worried when I was half way through the book that she was focuses completely on the intellectual side of Christianity and disregarding soul care and spiritual formation. In the end, I was so pleased with how she wrapped things up. She commissioned the Church to lead genuine lives that allow Christ's love to invade EVERY aspect of life to let His light shine brighter than ever.
So now you don't even have to read the book. There you go.
In our seminar we were split into groups with people that had the same book as us. Organized a short presentation and gave the overview of the book to the class. NO ONE HAD MY BOOK. Yeah. Great. That was a shocker.
All of that set aside. I met some amazing new teachers (and a few returners) that I am absolutely ecstatic to get to know. The nerves are still there, but they are not overwhelming. Over and over again I am being reminded that this is where I called to be right now. It is great.
Another early morning tomorrow. Another book to discuss.

Oh. By the way. The thunderstorms out here are ridiculous. And my new nic name after one day. Is "SoCal". Because I wouldn't go out in the downpour to walk to my car. Nothing like being a foreigner :)

Love you All!

2 comments:

  1. haha I love the rain comment! Pull out your cute twice worn rain boots! :)

    Nicole I can't believe that after only a day you have already experienced so much; coffee runs, CO drivers, new friends, homework, insight, hope, excitement and rain! I'm SOOO excited for you! love you girl and you are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing will ever be like mission and quince coffee :)I miss you so much:/

    ReplyDelete